Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fragility

"Well, why wouldnt someone want to feel fragile? I think fagility is one of the most underrated things as a human being. I believe that we're doing Yoga so that we can be strong enough to be fragile. I mean, we are fragile, and we're living in a society were we could easily be destroyed -psychologically, emotionally, and physically- so why shouldn't we feel fragile? life is on a silk thread hanging like a cocoon from a tree, and it's a fragile thing. I don't think Yoga is to keep you from feeling fragile. I think it's to enable you to be consciously fragile but still feel like, "I'm fine with this fragility.""-Rodney Yee

I've certainly been feeling fragile since my sister's passing. And despite my beliefs about death, I can't sidestep the natural process of grieving. It's common, even habitual, for us to distract ourselves from uncomfortable emotions. It might be reading a fantasy novel, getting lost on the internet or talking about anything other than what's aching to be felt. We have no shortage of ways to avert our attention in this society. 

Take some time today to focus your attention on yourself as a whole- the parts that are fragile and vulnerable as well as the parts that are empowered and strong. Acknowledge everything that's present right now. What's happening in your body? Find a Yoga posture that helps you to accentuate the sensations. For example, I've been noticing heaviness in my chest; a heavy heart. Forward folds have been allowing me to curl into myself, looking inwards at what's happening there. When I uncurl and explore a backbend I've felt more vulnerable with the pain, while allowing space to open and let go of that heaviness. 

Honor yourself and welcome the possibilities.

May your practice today serve your ability to be ok with being fragile. 
May you be truly happy.
Namaste
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment