Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Solstice

Namaste and Happy Solstice!

How are you welcoming Summer and honoring the shortening of days?

This morning I woke up early for a special Summer Solstice practice at the Yoga Shala (440 Don Ave.)

A grey cloud cover rippled overhead as my partner and I biked to the studio. There was an opening across the building streaked horizon where the morning's glow shone through. We had time to enjoy the songs of the birds by the river before heading inside. We were one of the first to arrive. I liked seeing the other yogis flow in, seeing who'd I'd be sharing this practice with. The studio filled up and we were led through a flowing Ashtanga practice by Jonathan Austman. Thelonious Monk said that talking about music is like dancing architecture. I sometimes feel the same about my personal practice. But here's this-the power of practicing in community with a skilled teacher with the intention to serve is like no home practice I can ever have.

If you're interested in the Mysore practice of Ashtanga, check out the Canada Day open house.

Create a delicious day

No comments:

Post a Comment