Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mantra for Compassion, Metta

I'm feeling on Deva Premal's Tara mantra right now. Notice what it's like to listen to it with your whole being. 

Here's the words so you can chant along:
Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha

This is a mantra of compassion and liberation. It came up in my awareness yesterday as I was having one of those being-a-paradoxical-human kind of times. I saw that while at times I feel at home in my body and connected to my truth and power, there are others when I'm restricted by negative self images. 

The beauty in allowing myself to be with pain is that it can be a river flowing towards an ocean of connection. I know I'm not alone in what I feel. How many other people share these ranges of being in relationship to themselves and the world around them? How can I embrace this opportunity to cultivate compassion for myself and all beings? I do my best to be with what's happening now as fully as I can in a welcoming way. I lean into my edges. I notice how the caring touch of a friend helps me soften into it with a sense support. I notice the actions that naturally want to arise. Of them is a practice of Metta, also known as loving-kindness or friendship.

Try this now, or the next time the waves of emotion have softened your armor. Use whatever words or phrases work for you right now. 

May I be truly happy, free and peaceful.
May all of us who feel inhibited by our body image be truly happy, free and peaceful. 
May all of us who notice restrictions in the ways we live because of harmful inner narratives be truly happy, free and peaceful.
May we all be truly happy.
May we all be free.
May we all be peaceful.

In Metta,
Namaste
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment