Saturday, May 5, 2012

Free from Expectation or Attached to Outcome:How do you Give?

I believe everyone has a unique gift to offer. I feel it's our responsibility to uncover what it is so that we can share it with our communities. Living in such a stimulating culture and being bombarded with so many messages can make it difficult to be in tune with how we can contribute in a way that feels authentic. 

If you're like me, when you find something that really works for you, you want to share it with loved ones. Have you ever been really excited to give something special, only to be disappointed by the response?  I remember growing wheatgrass for my Dad. I had hoped it would help him get through his battle with prostate cancer. My gardening had a desired outcome-my Dad being cancer free. When he kindly declined my offer of this green healing juice, I felt helplessly deflated. 

One of the keys of a transformational Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy session is letting go of expectations and desired outcomes to create the space for the possibilities unfolding moment by moment. Doing things with the process as the focus helps me to soften my grip on what I want to make happen. With an end point in mind, I can be blinded to the opportunities for discovery along the way. The desired outcome of my Dad's health improving restricted me from truly being present to him in the process of his illness. I feel there were opportunities for being in a spacious connection with him during that time. Often my attachments to doing something for him, and my disappointments at failing, blinded me from seeing them. 

What would it be like to give in a way that was free of expectations, to offer yourSelf for the sake of shining, trusting that the rays will ripple out in ways that are beyond our knowing?

Even this blog post: I sat down with the intention to write from an authentic place, without any end product in mind. The spaciousness I gave myself invited another wave in the grieving process to arise and be seen. 

Try this experiment: find something special do you. Offer it openly. Let go of expectations. What happens? 

“All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 comments:

  1. Jess,
    Are you teaching yoga at the Rocker? If so when?
    I would love to do yoga for an affordable price at the Rocker, let me know!
    Jesse Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jesse,
      Yoga at the Rocker is Tuesdays and Fridays at 12:10-12:50 to make space for people's lunch time. $10 to drop in.
      Thanks for your great idea on art/yoga trade btw!
      Jess

      Delete
  2. Disattachment from my own expectations is difficult to maintain. It's complicated to judge which things are worth becoming attached to, and which would be more rewarding to let flourish on their own.
    I think creating something for someone you care about is an internal way of being with them, even if your father didn't drink the healing juice, I'm sure he understood your Will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan :) And if he didn't understand then, I'm sure he understands now...I had a comforting dream last night with him in it, reminding me that we can't always see how our intentions are nourishing others. The roots remain hidden as they grow.

      Delete