Monday, June 11, 2012

Unfolding Awareness


    I was recently reminded of the re-connecting power of story while at a full moon celebration. We gathered under a sky brushed with pink. The smell of sage blended with the lilacs during the opening ceremonies. These were followed by a sharing circle. As people spoke so openly about themselves I felt the potency of being heard by a welcoming, non-judgmental group. The intimacy of the circle grew as each person had their space to speak. Even though some didn't otherwise know one another, the sacred tone created a sense of safety that allowed people to share in a beautifully honest way. 

I believe that bodies, like people, have stories to tell. My body has a story that teaches me through tingling. Sizzling sensations will slither through one of my legs. I've been learning to listen to this language. Sometimes I'm resistant to hearing what my body has to say. Like most relationships, there can be fighting. With regular practice and support, I'm learning how to be with what's happening now; witnessing the unfolding of this relationship with this embodied teacher. Self-care and slowing down are the main melodies of the songs it sings. 

Deep in the Amazon a story is waiting to be told. Amazon Voice is a project that aims to ensure the survival of indigenous cultures and the environment through empowering communities to tell their stories with modern technology. When I see how healing it can be for a single person to be welcomed to share their piece, I can only image how powerful it must be for a whole community to communicate their ways with the world. Watch the intro for their goal project and help them out with achieving it if you can. 

Body-mind psychologist Carl Rogers says, “People are just as wonderful as sunsets if you let them be. When I look at a sunset, I don't find myself saying, "Soften the orange a bit on the right hand corner." I don't try to control a sunset. I watch with awe as it unfolds.” 

See what it's like to watch with awe as you unfold, starting Now.
Try the attached meditation as a way to be guided through an exploration of your sunset palate. 

Namaste
Jessica

Jessica facilitates unfoldings in Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy, Partner Yoga and Yoga classes. The next PRYT Partner Yoga class is on June 16th from 10:30-12 at Hollow Reed Holistic's Community Space next door to the apothecary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment